Monday, September 7, 2009

Tiptoe through the Tulips

I just love reading the blogs of my family members. They are so creative and fun. I think it may be a little like karaoke, when someone else is doing it it looks fun and kind of easy, but.... humm.
So this is my first blog entry. The name of my blog is Notes from the Sixties. The sixties could be like the 1960's cause I was there for that but this title is really notes from me who is now somehow unbeknown to myself sixty years old. Not sure how that happened, I'm thinking it must be some kind of time warp, a fold in the time continuum that took me from 35 to 60 in a blink of an eye, Blink 182 maybe.
I'm not sure that I can really explain 60, cause I don't feel like what I thought 60 was way back when I was 28. Sixty was old but I am not old. Now my moms 60 was also not old, she was always young, even after she had her stroke she was young, I could see past the old outside into the young eye. My dad at 60 was also young, he didn't really retire until he was 75, and the company he worked for MADE him retire. He told me after they retired him that he had never in his life been fired until now. That made me laugh, "dad you weren't fired, you are retired AND you are 75, not 65. He kept busy, even though he became a grumpy old man, now that I look back he was probably grumpy cause his body was falling behind and not keeping up with what he wanted to do. His last little bit of life at 88 he accepted his mortality and he wasn't grumpy anymore. As a matter of fact his last week on earth he seemed very much at peace with the whole situation, which was interesting to me because he never appeared to have any relationship with God at all so I thought he might be a little worried about what was to come, but he didn't seem to be at all. Then my dad's mom, well she was my gram, she died at 95 so at sixty she was a grandma but she was a hard working grandma, and she was very pretty and kept herself up. So her 60 was not old, and then my mom's dad died at 98, I didn't know him at 60, that's another story, but I'm thinking no, he was not old at 60, so I guess at 28 I was very wrong about 60 and in fact 60 is still young. So good news for all you young'uns.
What 60 means then, I don't have to worry about getting pregnant, nor do I have a choice to become pregnant, and after having six kids that is a good thing, though I love them all dearly. It also means I know things and understand things I didn't know or understand before. Which can bring a lot of peace and contentment. Some of the negatives are I don't feel I can wear some of the really cute young shoes that I see in the stores, love the shoes still. I have to be careful about the clothes I pick out and remember I am not dressing the 28 year old me. But I am never going to the grandma clothes, even if I am 98. The whole plucking of the eye brows is becoming difficult, it has to do with either having the glasses on and actually seeing the hairs or removing the glasses so you can reach the hairs that you then can no longer see. The body is not as cooperative as it used to be. It does want to have a few aches and pains, which is a pain. You just have to work a little harder to get it in shape and it does put up a bit of resistance.
One of the best things is though that I am no longer as impatient as I used to be. I am able to take a little more careful time with things. I keep thinking about Zen which I am not sure if I know what that is but I think, take your time, do a good job, slow and steady wins the race. Now you have to be careful that that doesn't just make you start things you don't finish. Wait for the paint to dry and 10 years later finish the job. So there is some careful balancing you must do.
So there you go, my first blog. Hope it is at least a little bit of interest but if not, try again I may do better next time.

3 comments:

  1. This has made my day complete! I love your blog, love your profile, love your profile picture, love you, loved this blog soooo much. You nailed it on the first blog, it is a great blog. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an Awesome Blog! Yay! I'm so excited about it. Really enjoy the family history and am loving the insight to what it means to be, but definitely not Feel the 60's! Can't wait for the next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found It!! It is fun to read. I am greatful for you Knowledge and how fun it is to have you in my life. You are a great example to me and I am excited to read more.

    ReplyDelete