Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's it all about Alfie?

Alfie was a great movie. Love Michael Cain, love British like Heather loves Amish. Loved the song, "What's it all about Alfie, is it just for the moment we live..." (now we are talking about the 60's as well as me being 60. Alfie is a playboy who has no affection for the women he woos, his life is lived for himself, then in the end things happen and the movie ends with him realizing or coming to grips with his life and how he is choosing to live it.
Today I attended a funeral for a man who was a year older than me. I never met him, yet I was asked to give the closing prayer by the bishop. Evidently he had been married several times, at present he was married and had a 3 year old son. He had other children from other marriages, didn't see any of them, there were about 20 people at his funeral, looked like it was mostly his wife's family, I say that because she is Asian and most of the people there were also.
I felt sad for him. Where were his friends, where were his children? No words for him but from the bishop who had only recently become aquainted with him. What happened to cause this. A funeral in a church he had never attended though he was a member on the roles. No friends from his days in the service, no friends from his work at the prison. Strangers conducting and participating in the funeral, only his wife in tears. Caught me up short. Making me think....What's it all about Alfie? I am grateful that I do know what it is all about but I also know I could do better, I want to do better.

1 comment: